The Briton arrested in connection with the fire that gutted seven Yumbo Centre venues during Gran Canaria's Mardi Gras has not been charged. There had been reports he's had a row with a doorman and drunkenly set the fire.
A spokeswoman for GLAY, the Gay and Lesbian Association of the Yumbo, who organise Maspalomas Gay Pride, said on Monday that the fire that occurred on the second floor of the Yumbo commercial center in Playa del Ingles was simply due to ”bad luck” adding that in her opinion it had been caused by nothing more than “a spark. The local press also say the drunk guy was just a drunk and the piles of highly combustible materials left there were against local rules and even says some of the venue owners were trying to sell up - pretty blunt local press there. Nobody was hurt, it was at 8am.
For those that don't know this Gran Canaria place it's somewhere nobody admits to going to but go to because it's warm when it's cold in Europe. Think Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre in terracota, menus with pictures, Blackpool and you're headed in the right direction.